Thursday, May 17, 2012

Return to Babes in Beerland (Gluten Free Dreams)

Hey Bloggo's!  I'm back!  I do apologize for the extended interim, but I have been busy around the shop etc...  you know the drill.

Today I'm going to spend a little time talking about the beers that I have endeavored to brew.  The first Gluten free one I brewed while at Barry's in my previous post.  I just racked it into the secondary and added some stuff to it.
I"m calling it Bleeding Gums Murphy's Belgian

Here is the recipe:

Boil 6.5 Gallon (Tap) water 

60 min:        1 oz. Malto Dextrin
                    1 oz. Hallertau hops

30 min:        add the predissolved mix in 1 qt. H2O
                    6 oz. Lactose
                   16 oz orange blossom honey
                   2/3 cup Molasses

15 min:       1 whirflock tablet
                   1 lb.  Demerara sugar
                   5 tsp coriander
                   0.75 oz dried bitter orange peel

10 min:      5 oz fresh ginger root

End:          1 oz Hallertau hops     

Pitched with Nottingham yeast from Lallemand

Primary ferment 10 days

Secondary ferment:  Add 1 oz of liquid hydrated yeast from a pack
                                 8 oz clover honey
                                 1 oz Cascade

I got a re-Krauzen formed.  Interesting  I'm going to let this ferment out since it has the lactose in it to help sweeten it.  I might cut the secondary short at 3 weeks, not sure.  If I cut it short I hope to have some more residual sweetness and may not even need to prime the bottles.

I'm running out of time so I will finish up today's first addition to the blog with a pic or two.  Wish me luck.  I hope this beer is not the usual bland Gluten Free variety!

 The color is very orange!  Nice!  I did not take a taste, I'm scared!  There was lots of trub and although I was tempted to save some for the yeast culture I wasn't set up yet for culturing.  Below you see my yeast starter that I have for the next batch.  I took some of that starter and added to the secondary, just a tad to get the ferment rolling a bit again.  Just an experiment!

No comments: