Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A year of Craft Beer, Vol. 98, Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Hey Beer Lovers.  Tonight's installment is considered a Munich Helles Lager which is a "bright" lager from Munich that was developed in the mid-1800's to counter the popular Czech pilsners that were cutting into their nationalism.  Munich Helles has pretty much the same hop spiciness but a little more in the way of malt sweetness.  This is supposed to be a good one so don't change that channel!
Unfortunately before I go any further I need to mention that I do not like the owners of this company. The bad guys.

So this beer is in a green bottle.  I can't understand why you would use a green bottle.  They must like the skunk flavor.  I will, however, reuse the bottle and just keep my beer from light.

The beer pours a clear deep straw color with a white one finger head that stays as a ring and a center cap throughout the drink and the lacing is a nice archway pattern.

The smell upfront is that green bottle skunk aroma but the pale malt sweetness and the hops are noticeable and nice.

The taste is almost citrus like up front and then pale malt sweetness a hint of yeast and nice and mellow earthy hops.  The skunk aroma is also part of the flavor profile and not too desireable.

The mouthfeel is somewhere between dry and sweet, noticeably dry, but still well balanced with average body and nice medium carbonation.  Mild dry finish with a hint of black pepper.

Overall, this is a good beer and I would love to try it on draft.  I won't buy it in bottles again.  For the life of me, I can't understand that if the Germans were such purists, why they kept the usage of green bottles?  The skunk detracts from the beer there is no question, but not terribly so.  I'm going to give this beer high 3's out of 5.

It's definitely worth it to try it.  Unfortunately the owners of the company are the devil.  It's good to get out there and compare though and you should!

-Wiss

No comments: