Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 138, Stegmaier Pale Ale

Hello,

Once again, I have missed two days!  They are racking up!  Instead of 365 days I will be lucky to get 300 I think.  Realistically that is to be expected, especially now that the weather is so nice, but my excuse this time is that I threw a party showcasing 4 of my homebrews out in the workshop on Friday and it took a lot of time and effort!  I put in a bathroom as you may know and had 4 taps going with my beer in them and it was quite an effort getting them borrowed, and working for cornelius kegs.  A good time was had by all.  I was a little busy and didn't get to talk to everyone as much as I had wanted, but I plan on doing it again and you know what?  I had a great time, and so did everyone else.  What really helped was it being a beautiful first night of summer with a super moon!  WOW!

So tonight I am drinking a beer gifted to me by Rich Wagner in a glass gifted to me by Tom Coughlin from the party.  Thanks to you both and all of my guests for bringing foodstuffs, charcoal, etc... and it was great to see my best friend Joe Gass along with all of my other great friends!  It was truly amazing and I am thankful to know som many really cool and down to earth people!

Stegmaier Pale Ale:  Style- American Pale Ale.
Screw Top Bottle!  Not homebrewer friendly!  FAIL,  points lost.

The beer pours a nice clear and copper colour with a huge 3 finger head and leaves and excellent lacing pattern that looks like the Beatles in the one cartoon where they have really long hair.  Trippy!

When it's warming the beer smells mildly malty with bready yeast and notes of orange peel, citrusy hops and honey.  It's very faint but nice.  You have to let this beer warm for those to come out.  Cold it's average.

Taste wise this beer is balanced really well.  Earthy hop bitterness mixed with orange peel play with some almost caramel sweet maltiness equally throughout the sip.

The mouthfeel is smooth but a bit on the thin side.  The carbonation moderate.

Overall I am going to say that this is not the best American pale ale that I have had.  It's a bit on the watery side, but the balance of flavours and aromas is excellent!  If it weren't for the thin mouthfeel I would be giving this 4 out of 5.  But I do believe that this beer is excellent for summer activities AND that it would be a great crossover beer for the craft beer beginner and it gets points for that!

This would be a great beer for you to get off your lazy arse to try and become hooked on good beer!

-Wiss

No comments: