Friday, August 6, 2010

"The Wormhole" project


Ah the fruits of the labors of the cast and crew of "The Wormhole" Project.
These planks are 1/4" thick and milled here at Benner Street on a Rigid 4330 thickess planer and an old Craftsman jointer. I was able to get four 1/4" x 3.5" Eastern Black Walnut planks out of a 4/4 x 7 plank because my dad took it into work and had his buddy saw it up on a 12" saw between two fences. NICE! Wood from center outward; W. Red Cedar, E. Black Walnut, E. White Cedar, W. Red Cedar, and then on the outermost rail Eastern White Cedar complete with a series of hollows from a grub that I found eating it!

This is my apprentice Laura. A very attentive learner and genuinely interested in woodworking. She will be helping me off and on with this project as well as the canoe to be started next month.








This is my Pop. The brains of the operation. I'm his apprentice! If it wasn't for his support I wouldn't be able to do any of this with him. This is quality time, even though I give him a load of sh!t here and there. This time is golden. I'm learning a lot from this man!










And here I am messing about with the planer.















All is fun and games until Laura gets hit with an Eastern White Cedar knot! After that and blowing cedar boogers out her nose, we decided it best if she wore her safety gear! Ear plugs included! That planer makes beastly blood curdling noise!

No comments: