Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 60, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe Double IPA

This beer is considered an American Double/Imperial IPA so I am expecting big malt, big hops and big alcohol.  I'm not sure how this one is going to pan out just yet...

I poured the beer at about 55 degrees or warmer into a chimay goblet and it is a mostly clear, slightly cloudy deep amber with a hint of red.  There was a thin ring of off-white fine bubbles around the glass from the start and stayed the entire time leaving a neat parched desert lacing pattern on the glass.

The aroma was fairly hoppy like pine, with citrus in the way of grapefruit and a hint of caramel malt sweetness.

Once again, the flavour profile is almost identical to the aroma.  The sip starts out with a bit of hop, then instantly mellows to grapefruit and caramel malts with hops taking a back seat.  The the hops assert themselves again at the end.

The mouthfeel is pleasantly full for an IPA since probably double the malts were used in making this beer.  Someone used the word sticky to describe it.  I feel a bit of that going on.  The finish is finally dry, but overall it's balanced really well until the finish.  With medium carbonation the beer almost has a creamy feel to it.

Overall, I love this beer and I bet it is pretty popular with the IPA crowd.  I would definitely seek this beer out again.  I can see that if you were a hop-head you might be disappointed, but I am totally not!  In fact, I was pleasantly surprised!

I'm going to have to say that this beer is an excellent 4 or higher out of five!

Life is too short to drink crappy beer, give this one a go if you want to be adventurous for the first time with an IPA!

-Wiss

No comments: