Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 112, Stoudts Scarlet Lady ESB

Happy Saturday Folks!  Happy Mother's Day all you Mums out there!  I'm taking me Mum out to dinner as she is trying the gluten free diet so we will go to Pizza Uno's for their menu and they are also very supportive of the craft beer industry so it is a Win Win for my Mum and I.

Tonight's addition to Stoudts Week is their Scarlet Lady which happens to be an ESB (Extra Special Bitter) which normally is, in fact, not bitter, but balanced.  But ultimately, I think that is the goal of most beers except for you extreme lovers.  Blahhh!  Anyway, this style is a bit more higher in ABV and a bit more hop forward than that of a normal ale or bitter and it is always a pleasure to try a new beer in this style as it is one of me favorites!
This beer poured from a 50 degree F bottle into a standard pint glass produced a clear amber/ copper beer with a nice bone white one finger head that stays as a nice frothy cap the entire drink and leaves a shark tooth lacing pattern on the glass that falls back down to the head.  Pretty cool!

Initially I smelled mostly caramel malts with a little breadiness to it, but as it got warmer some earthy notes as well as dark fruit notes came out.

As I get further into the beer flavours of sour apple, bread, caramel malts are pretty evenly distributed followed by some earthy hops and a bit of tannins and mild black pepper.

The mouthfeel is mildly sweet, moderately light, and has a dry finish.  A bit of a slippery feel is left on the tongue and the carbonation is about medium and maybe just a tad, just a tad, bit lively.  I like it a lot and think that I can drink the heck out of this beer!

Overall, I like this beer a lot.  I think it fits into the style very well and would recommend trying it to anyone who likes English beers.  The only thing that detracts from this beer for me is the tannin taste and it's not over the top at all so I am going to give this beer a solid 4 out of 5!

Go try it!  If you don't, you are missing out!

-Wiss



No comments: