Monday, May 13, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 114, Forsaken, Evil Genius Brewing Company

Hi Everyone!

I have a mini week of a local PA brewery called Evil Genius and tonight's fare is an American Amber Ale which is pretty much a generic description of any ale that is less than a dark.  Amber in color and malty but balanced with a variety of hops and some fruit flavours brewers can pretty much do what they want to this beer.  Let's have a look see...
I poured this beer from a bottle at about 50 degrees F and it poured a hazy amber color with a khaki one finger head that fades to a solid ring and thin cap with a fairly sticky checkerboard lacing pattern.

The aroma is pretty malt forward some toasted mostly caramel with definite hints of fruits including apple and some mild floral hops.  There is perhaps a small amount of diacetyl mixed with wine or something a bit odd, but not unpleasant, I just can't put my finger on it and it gets more pronounced with temperature.  Buttery for sure.

You know, my aroma description pretty much describes the taste.  Those flavours all mix pretty evenly and then fade at the end to a bit of dry hops and I will admit, the transition is pretty cool!  It ends lightly peppery and dry and really makes me want another sip (if it weren't for the diacetyl).

It has a good medium body and a smooth mouthfeel slightly hot from carbonation and a dry finish.  Fairly well done.  Enjoyable and easy to drink.

Overall, I would say that I like this beer and would recommend it, but the buttery bits put me off.  I may have gotten a skunked bottle as it is really cloudy and does not clear up with temperature rise.  I haven't read any diacetyl comments in anyone elses reviews.  Like I said, it does not make this beer bad and I still like it, but I would like to try it again just to see.  No date on the bottle to make any assumptions.  Overall, with the buttery, I'm going to give it a solid 3.5 anyway.  I like it.

Hey, you never know what other beer tastes like unless you put down that remote, get out of your lunge chair and head on over to that "yuppy store with all the expensive beers" and try a real beer.

-Wiss

No comments: