Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 121, Deschutes Inversion IPA

Hello beer enthusiast,

Welcome to my blog about beer in which I talk about a different craft beer each time, hopefully.  I can be redundant my co-workers tell me.  I do get excited!  If you are tuning in for the first time I would like to express my thanks and tell you what I am doing.  In an effort to learn more about craft beer in general, I have been drinking a different beer everynight almost since Jan 1, 2013.  I have tried probably a dozen styles or more which are a drop in the bucket, but I am limited in my resources.  Luckily there are 2300 or so craft breweries!  In my education of myself, it is also my goal to help others whether beginner or old hand at craft beer decide what they may like to try next and to also get those stuck on the big boy beers like badweezer and kriller to try something new!

Tonight I am drinking an IPA (India Pale Ale) from a favourite brewery of mine in Oregon.  I haven't had this beer yet as it is new since I have moved back to PHiladelphia and am stoked to give it a whirl.  IPA's were a British invention to preserve their ales by using extra hops to make the long trip from home via wooden sailing ships to the Indian Colonies.  In recent years Americans have revived this beer in their own fashion buy mostly using more local ingredients like west coast USA hops as well as making them a higher gravity than the current British IPAs of past decades.  Early on the British versions were stronger, but due to alcohol taxes the percentage in the beers had dropped to avoid high costs to the brewers and patrons.  High taxes?  British?  Naaaaah!

Here is a pic of the beer that I am about to enjoy greatly!

I poured this beer pretty cool at around 45 degrees F which is a little cold for beer.  50 or 55 is even better for most craft beers, but this has warmed relatively quick due to my apt. being about 85 degrees F.

The beer pours a beautifully clear amber coppery colour with a full 3 finger khaki head that remains as a full ring around the glass and covers the beer.  The lacing pattern left on the glass is sticky and looks like polka dots.

The aroma is not as hoppy as you would think that a beer with 80 IBUs (International Bittering Units, 80 is pretty high) would have.  It's definitely floral smelling from the hops, but I am taken aback by the upfront caramel malt sweetness that I smell along with honey and citrus fruits!  The honey aroma is AWESOME!

The way that this tastes is more akin to a double IPA I would think because there is a really full amount of caramel malt to balance the floral hops.  It's really balanced well!  The caramel malts are pretty much up front and as the beer moves towards the middle of the tongue honey does come out all the while some floral hop notes are in on this ride.  When the trip finishes, hop bitterness appears and the beer ends dry and in need of tipping into your mouth once again.

The mouthfeel of the beer is smooth, sweet, moderately full (as compared to something watery like Boar's Lite) with medium carbonation.

Overall I find this beer exceedingly attractive and would recommend it to anyone who likes hops.  I personally have not liked hops in my craft beer adventure until this past 6 months or so.  I am not a hop head and do not like extreme beers that are over the top hoppy.  In saying that, I think if you only mildly like hops you may even like this beer!  I am going to give this a solid 4 or better out of 5!

Proste!

-Wiss

No comments: