Friday, May 17, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 117, Evil Genius Pure Evil Chocolate Stout

Hey everyone, welcome to craft beer!  I hope that you stay a while!

Tonight's choice is considered an oatmeal stout by Beer Advocate and called a chocolate stout by Evil Genius.  Oatmeal stouts are considered to be exceptionally smooth from the oats and perhaps a bit sweeter with various degrees of bitter and roasted notes.

This is going to be good!
"I'm just a WARM beer drinker!" -some adulterated country song

I poured this beer at a warm room temperature as I got sidetracked and forgot to place it in the fridge, but I am happy that I did as WOW it is giving off some fine aromas!  It poured thick and black with a huge frothy brown head (from the warm temperature) that settled to a one finger cap of creamy goodness and a sticky wall of lacing on the pint glass.

Aromas- Chocolate malt, roasted coffee, vanilla, and maybe what can be described as oatmeal (I dunno, it really does smell like it) and not much in the way of hops.

Tastes like chocoalte malts, roasted malts both sweet and slightly bitter intermingle with a mild sourness, light milky vanilla and very mild piney hops which finish her off.

The body is a little lighter than I would have thought but still fairly full and smooth with an even mix of sweet and sour.  Definitely different than I am used to!  Intriguing and excellent!  There is also a tad bit more carbonation that I would have figured but it works well with the mild sour.  There is a little of a slippery feeling on my tongue and a peppery finish.  Alcohol is a little apparent and it is slightly dry between sips.

Overall I really like this beer!  It's not like any that I have had before and may not be exactly an oatmeal stout in the way that it's pretty hot with carbonation, thinner than most and slightly sour.  Personally I give it a solid 4.25 out of 5.  I'm not sure that it reflects the style totally for the above reasons but it's damn good!  Style wise, 4.0 out of 5.  I would recommend this for sure. It's not a crossover beer from the big boy lagers, but excellent!

You have to try this beer!  For if you want to try something new like your partner says, try this one!  It's new!  ha ha ha!

-Wiss

No comments: