Saturday, June 9, 2012

The "Piney" Rails (hollow wood surfboard)

Hey Hey, Happy Saturday!

Another busy day at the shop was had by all.  I got another four rail strips on the surfboard.  They take about an hour to put on and an hour and a half to two hours to dry so I was able to help my dad prep and varnish Kindred Spirit in the times the glue was drying.  Spirit is starting to look really good!  We are starting to run into dust problems now that there are 3 coats of varnish on her and it is smoothing out.  We might try varnishing her outside tomorrow and see what happens!

Here are some pics of The Piney:

The rails are so tight to the frame when clamping them on now that I cut out a channel in the cove around where it sits against the cross frame so that it can get in tighter and fit nice and snug.  Xacto knife works well for this.
I now have 8 rail strips glued on top of each other.  I'm going to go to about 12 or so on each side.  This pic might give you a better idea of what I am doing.  I alternated strip colors red and white.   I think it looks pretty.
Have a great weekend!

No comments: