Thursday, June 21, 2012

Two Days of Sand...(sanding a hollow wood surfboard that is, no beach fun, yet!)

Hi internet land!

It's a surfboard!  Yup, it's fully shaped and ready to be glassed.  It's been a struggle in this heat with the other projects going on.  An air-conditioner project took 4 hours as the window frame in the shop that I was installing it in broke free of the concrete wall and I had to anchor the frame to the concrete.  That's life in an old building.  You live and learn!

Well, "The Piney" took about 20 hours of sanding in the last two days with various equipement.  None of which I took pictures of.  Sorry, I was way to busy to take the time.  In fact, all you are getting in the way of pictures are crappy ones from my phone.  I'm curious as to why they suck so bad on blogspot, but look great on my hard drive.  meh...  Oh wow!  I just figured out how to view the pics better.  For me I have to right click and hit view image and then i can click on it and it expands!  neato!  Try it!

So, sanding.  I started sanding with the disc sander.  I have a huge milwaukee sander/grinder that works wonders for taking off meat.  The rules for sanding are as follows:  You start with the coarsest grit sand paper always sanding in the same direction.  In this case, the length of the board.  Then you use the next finer grit sandpaper in increments.  Sand the same direction.  This process is repeated over and over to remove the scratches from the previous sanding sometimes all the way to a grit sandpaper of 2000 (in the case of polishing).  In this case I just went from 60 grit on the grinder to 60 grit on orbital sander (mostly to sand the tail and nose blocks as it is a great way to take off meat as well, but it does not sand flat) to 60 grit on the Hutchins Straightline power sander (which sands really flat and in nice straight lines) to 80 grit on the Hutchins to 80 grit on the hand held block sander to do everything from getting the deck completely flat to fine tuning the curvature of the rails.  Sanding is a tedious process, but when done properly will make an impression on those who look at the finished product.

Deck
 Hull
Much tired, Have a great night!

1 comment:

Yoga Joe said...

That is a gorgeous hull Mr. Null. It was very cool watching this piece of functional art evolve!