Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 13, Ommegang Hennepin

What a delicious beer!

So this beer is classified as a farmhouse ale or saison.  It's very Belgian in style and I would have to say I hit another one that I am going to call a 10.  My experience is limited so take that with a grain of salt but OMFG I like this beer!

Of course I like the bottle.  I can reuse it, but I will put this one aside because I love the lable!  Look ad the dudes in the native American style canoe!  Awesome.

This beer pours a carbonated golden straw color with a nice white tiny bubble foam head that laces really well and stays around the entire drink.  At first you will definitely notice the aromas of citrus, coriander, a mild hay like smell (hence ''farmhouse'') and even a bready aroma.  Maybe even a very slight peppery aroma.  After the pour the beer continues to effervesce, but the carbonation is mild. 

It drinks the same with a malty sweetness to carry it along with all those complex tastes mixed with some very mild hops.  I read they were noble hops, I can't distinguish them so well at this point even though I brew my grand crux and belgian wit's with them.  LOL  The only aftertaste that I am getting is that of malt and orange peel with the very slightest of a dry hop finish.  I'm also getting the faintest of sour apple.  It's so complex and delicious!

The mouthfeel and body are creamy and full.  For a beer of this light color you will be taken aback at the body.  It's fantastic!

I would recommend this beer for anyone who is wary about craft beer bitterness as a great transition from the usual to something of high alcohol content in the craft realm without gacking at the bitter.

There seems to be so much going on with this beer that it's almost confusing and crazy cool at the same time.  It's definitely a 10 in my book!

I hope that you get the opportunity to enjoy this beer!

-Fish



No comments: