Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 8, Lost Abbey Gift of the Magii

OMFG!  Yup!

So from what I understand, this beer is a golden ale with the addition of Frankincense and Myrrh and being so close to the Epiphany (twelfth day of Christmas) not a bad time to drink it.

Tonight was the Lucky 13 Homebrew club meeting and we gained some good ground on community oriented ideas and moving the club forward while we had a few pints at the Grey Lodge.  I started the night off with a Gift of the Magii and man was it a great way to start off the night!

I have got to tell you that I haven't had anything like this before and it was quite enjoyable.  It poured an opaque coppery colour with large bubbles at first and then the head settled nicely.

I scribbled some notes in my wee composition book:

Dark copper colour
Big bubbles
Hoppy up front converges immediately with a sweet hoppiness

It is definitely weird and exciting.  LOL  sounds a bit fruity I know, but I was surprised by how the hop bitterness flavour instantly turns into the frankincense-myrrh  sweetness and then turns back into a light delicious hop finish.   I haven't experienced that before and I totally dug it.  I want more!

It's not a winter warmer style, but #f@ckyeahlostabbey#

It gets a total ten for what it is.

Cheers!

-Fish
 
   

No comments: