Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 22, Czechvar Lager

Help me out here.  There are some conflicting stories about this beer.  Beer Advocate says that it is not in production anymore, while the Czechvar site says otherwise.  From what I conclude Budweiser Budvar now owns it.  Is this the case?

Further reading indicates that Anheiser Busch stole their name, fought them in court and made them settle to change their name to Czechvar.  It's vague.  Scoats?  What is your take on that?

In any case, this is probably the best lager that I have had to date.

I can reuse this bottle!  Nice!  Although green, it will do just fine, I don't expose beer to light.  

The beer pours nice with a nice thin white head that fades throughout the drink.  The color is of golden straw and the pic doesn't do it justice at all.  The aroma that I get is light malt and some mild hop.  Noble I have read.  It's a really nice balanced nose.

The beer is fantastically refreshing!  It's malty and sweet with a hint of hops at the finish which is slightly dry and peppery.  The carbonation fades somewhat, as the head does, but is still quite nice.  Mouthfeel is smooth and the body mild.  This is a beer that I could drink all year!

I really like this beer and give it a huge 10!

Scoats really has outdone himself on his 24 beers of Christmas case!  Most are tops in their categories!  I feel honored to have been clued in on this gem!  Thanks Scoats!  

If you like the fake Bud, try the real Budweiser,  you won't regret it!  Excellent with sausages!

-Fish





No comments: