Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 27, Bells Winter White Ale

Now this is a beer style that I find myself attracted to.  Belgian wheats, wits, whites, crand crux, etc... are all very palatable to most crowds and I do believe that this is the flavor profile that will work best with some gluten free extracts like sorghum.  Just a hunch.

Bells  pretty much has a top notch beer here.  It fits exactly as to what I think a Belgian wheat beer should be AND is exactly the flavors that I desire for the sorghum beers.

The bottle is great for reusing and pretty cool looking, so that is a plus!

The beer pours a golden straw color which I bet will darken by next year.  I will take my cellared one next year and compare colors.

The head is thin and whispy and dissappears half way through.  I personally would like some lacing.  My glass was pretty clean so I don't think any detergents effected it.  I don't think they are supposed to be overly carbonated or heady, so it's probaby cool in that respect.  I'd like more though.

The aroma is banana bread and citrus!  There is some malty sweetness in there for sure.

The taste is just the same.  Malty and mild banana bread-like with some orange peel.  The hop flavor is really mild from the start to the finish and only barely noticeble at the end.  Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a medium body sweetness.  The alcohol content is 5% yet there is a trace of it.  Sometimes I get confused on this issue especially with banana flavors.  There is also a light peppery finish, very faint.  Very light carbonation.

I will definitely drink this beer again and it is yet another high ranker on my list getting a 9 out of 10 only because I like a bit more head and carbonation.

Rock On Bells Brewery!

-Fish


No comments: