Friday, January 25, 2013

A Year of Craft Beer, Vol. 25, PBC Shackamaximum Imperial Stout

Here lie an Ebony Goddess! 
(I'm tempted to post something from Round and Brown)  (( I already contacted them about a beer collaboration, I call dibs!!! ))  Bagsies!



So like, here is one hell of a stout.  I'm so tired of giving out freaking tens!  Will I ever encounter a bad beer again?  I need to purchase something bad so I can guage this whole thing.  Like zero-ing out a calibration instrument, I need a baseline.

Actually, I think that I have just been getting lucky with my choices AND I also do a little reading about beer, but damn there are sooooo many really good beers out there!  I read a post from a local brewer recently about a scalding critique on a certain beer and how there are some super beer geeks (Beeks) out there who can't just let a beer be a beer.  If it's not something extraordinary, then it's worthless.  That is a beer snob.  And I totally agree with said craftsman.  Fuck, let me tell you.  I had that lager from Czechvar last week and that was wicked simple and super good!  As a beginner, I find complexity difficult.  Perhaps that is a reflection on myself in general, but I don't always want to work at a beer!  Many times it is just a means to an end!  And hopefully that end arrives pretty quick!  Sometimes.  Not all the time.  Sometimes there is no end necessary and that is the perfect time to chill, analyze and enjoy the ride.

Shackamaximum from Philadelphia Brewing Co. is just that beer.  I'm in no hurry.  I am having this beer before dinner on an empty stomach.  Life is good.  I didn't even bother to put this in the fridge, I just got it out of the cupboard.  I knew that would be OK with this beer and I am glad that I did.  This beer is like a dark chocolate truffle.  Chocolate truffles are supposed to mimic a cooling sensation when you eat them, even the dark chocolate ones, but especially the milk chocolate truffles.  This is like a dark chocolate truffle from Lindt!  Lindt is the best chocolate available to me, so that is what I am sticking with.

The review:

Bottlegasm!  Huge and can be used over and over again.  Innuendo?  NOoooo.

Also, the label reflects who the beer is dedicated to, the local Lenape's.  I can respect that.  Wissinoming is the Lenape word for "Where the grapes grow well".  Pretty cool, eh?

The beer pours thick and black.  Innuendo not intended there, you pervs. Guys and Gals alike.

The head was a full 3 fingers thick, well, baby fingers, not even really.  In the real world it was 3/4 of an inch, maybe.  In "Beek" world, it's 3 fingers.  It's a light brown color and thins out as you drink the beer, but stays in tact across the top.  And the lacing is quite good!


The aroma is of roasted malts and chocolate with some vanilla.  I'm not sure about the vanilla.  I haven't read any other reviews on this and don't know what goes into it, but I smell vanilla.  Nice.

She's bitter, but not angry.  That comes through about half way through the sip which starts off creamy malty roasty chocolatey.  Then the end is super bitter and dry, not overly dry, but it happens with hops, so,  not overly dry.  All the more reason to take another sip!

The body is full and the mouthfeel really smooth.  Carbonation is mellow and I think that is the key to the creamy feel.

If you don't like a bitter finish, then this won't be your favorite.  But damn, I think this beer is wicked true to the form! 

I'm going to say that this beer is a true classic and that if you like a stout, especially Russian Imperial Stouts, then this beer goes on your bucket list.

10 points awarded to PBC -indore!  I can't believe this hasn't won the house cup!

Grey Lodge bound.  

-Fish out!



No comments: